Spicy Black bean and Sweet potato burgers
2 Medium Sweet potatoes, diced
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
¼ Cup Quinoa
½ Cup Water
¼ Cup red onion, minced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons ground Cumin
1 Tablespoon Sea Salt
2 Tablespoons Cilantro
Olive Oil for the pan to cook burgers
- Cook the diced sweet potato in a pan on medium high heat with 1 Tablespoon oil for 10- 15 minutes until soft, tossing frequently.
- Cook the Quinoa with ½ cup of water for 15 minutes.
- Place the sweet potato, rinsed beans, and quinoa in a bowl. Sauté the onions until softened and add to the bowl. Stir well to combine. The mixture should be very thick and not too wet; if it seems wet, add some rolled oats.
- Fold in the cilantro, chili powder, ground cumin, butternut squash seeds, sunflower seeds, and salt and mix until desired consistency
- Shape burgers using your hands or a top of a canning jar
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a cast iron skillet and warm it over a medium-high heat. Cook the burgers until browned on each side or bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 350 F.
Video found at: vimeo.com/78170986