1 cups shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
2/3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup almonds
6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup honey
¼ brown sugar (optional)
2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 cups dried cherries
1/2 60% Dark chocolate chips, coarsely chopped (optional)
(I used chocolate covered coconut but any chocolate will work)
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F
- In a pan, add the coconut in an even layer and cook, stirring frequently (3-4 minutes).
- Once coconut it browned, transfer into a separate bowl. Add the chopped walnuts and almonds. Cook until lightly browned (4 minutes).
- Combine the oats, oil and coconut and stir frequently
- With the brown sugar, combiner with ¼ cup boiling water and add honey, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon,
- Spread out granola onto a baking sheet and drizzle with wet mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes total, stirring every 10 minutes
- Once lightly browned, add dried cherries and chocolate (optional) and let cool for 1 hour
- Store the granola in an airtight container
- Enjoy the granola as a snack or a dessert as a nutrient dense choice