Today I was craving my mom’s Shepard pie so I though I might as well try and reconstruct it with making a few ingredient swaps. Here it is listed below, add seasonal vegetables or experiment with it and have fun.
- 2 sweet potato, cut in cubes, boiled
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce, or 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 red or yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk of celery diced
- Seasonal vegetables (currently asparagus is in season so I cut some up and added it in the mix)
- ½ cup mushrooms
- 1 tsp red curry (optional)
- 1 tsp Sriracha
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Topping: Mix the boiled sweet potato cubes and coconut milk in a food processor until soft consistency. Set aside.
4. In a pan, put the quinoa and vegetable mix on the bottom layer. Top with a spinach and kale layer and coat with sweet potato puree.
5. Bake for 13-15 minutes at 375°F.
This twist on the typical Shepard’s pie is pack full of nutrients. I just read about the nutrients of a sweet potatoes that provide calcium, potassium and large amounts of vitamin A. Combined with the quinoa this meal is packed full of nutrients.