- 2 large, ripe plantains
- 2 Tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (not 1 can, just 1 from the can)
- 1 can (15oz) Black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely-minced sweet yellow onion
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (stems removed)
Preheat the oven to 375F. Cut the plantains into diagonal pieces, about 2-inch pieces, forming a total of 16 wedges. Place the plantains in a shallow pan and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic, sea salt and black pepper and toss to evenly coat. Bake for 35 minutes or until the plantains are golden brown.
While the plantains are baking, rinse the black beans. Use a knife to finely cut the chipotle pepper and add to the beans with some extra adobo sauce. In another bowl, combine the minced onion and cilantro (keep separate).
After the plantains turn golden brown, flip with a spatula and pour the beans and chipotle mix over the plantains. Bake for about 5 more minutes or until the beans are warm. Remove the pan from the oven and take the onion-cilantro mixture and add to the plantains and beans. Sprinkle the top with fresh lime juice and enjoy this delicious and nutritious dish.
WARNING: This dish may bring back glorious memories of Costa Rica and allow your mouth to experience PURA VIDA!